umm…….

March 25th, 2013 by _d2_

so i have all but three pieces of pierrot cast. one piece i just need to recast, the other two i have to remake the molds for, but it’s no big deal.

however, i was going to work on her today and instead we got 10+ inches of snow yesterday/last night – so i didn’t get any outdoor work done and then today i spent most of my energy clearing the driveway with my roommate, and yet we still didn’t get it all the way done ><;;;; i’m hoping to set up the mold boxes tonight so that i can pour the first halves tomorrow.

it’s like a dig in here!

March 19th, 2013 by _d2_

first up – after three casts i have these pieces mostly good to use :

doesn’t it look like a prehistoric person’s remains? they certainly seem to always have the arms and legs….

i had to use two different colored resins – white and beige – as i had just the trial size right now…..

but my casts are getting mostly bubble free and nice and smooth. i was going to try for a fourth cast today, but two of my molds had major failures last time (they weren’t lined up quite right and leaked horribly) and so i get to spend today cleaning resin off my legos. at least it comes off easily…..

and then off on the paleontology side of things, i have been able to work more on my xenoceratops head:

and this lovely lump o’ clay is going to become a jointed boarcroc head. the lower jaw will be movable if i’m lucky. yeah, doesn’t really look like much right now, huh?

i don’t know if i should laugh or cry…

March 16th, 2013 by _d2_

so i finished all my molds and did the first pour of about half the pieces.

i learned several important things.

1) i am still MASSIVELY allergic to the resin and that one pour may be all i can do in a day due to health issues (i am feeling extremely light headed/nauseous after pulling pieces out of the molds)

2) i need to make larger pour holes because the resin did not fill the molds completely and i need to just take my time to make sure they are filled.

3) i need more air vents and to jiggle the molds before putting them in the pressure pot.

i didn’t get any usable pieces this time around – but i am learning things with this pour. i’m going to recover for the rest of today and tomorrow will make the changes to the pour/air vents and try again.

however the parts of the pieces that did cast correctly were nice and smooth, or the flaws will be easy to sand off/fix. so i’m confident that once i can get the molds to actually fill all the way i’ll get some nice pieces going.

time to celebrate!

March 14th, 2013 by _d2_

i’ve just poured the final mold for pierrot! yay! tomorrow will be spent cutting all the pour and air vents and then saturday i will be pouring my first full cast of pierrot! i’m so excited!

i already know there will be some clean up on her because there were some minor air bubbles in the mold – but so long as there aren’t air bubbles in the resin it will be easy to sand off the little nubs and then give the whole doll a nice full body sanding to make her nice and smooth. i already knew i would be sanding off seam lines so this is really just a little bit more work – but it just further confirms that i will be a very small production house and that 5 to 10 dolls is probably all i’ll be able to handle in a month.

about


i've been drawing for as long as i could hold a pencil and art became my first language. though i've only been sculpting since 2007, i fell in love with the idea of being able to bring my drawings to life. i am heavily inspired by medieval macabre artwork, japanese yokai, and oddly enough, sherlock holmes. currently i'm living just south of beautiful portland oregon ^^

search

navigation

archives

categories